Monday, March 30, 2009

Finally starting

I've just finished a 4th helping of Hannah's uncle's fabulous Brunswick Stew! Thanks to all of you who voted in the poll...

We're finally hitting the trail in the morning, but by the time most of you read this, we will be on our way to Maine. Our packs feel heavier than expected, but comparably lighter than previous backpacking trips we have taken. We'll be heading 5-7 miles each day for the first week or so. We're carrying 3 days' worth of food, and our first planned resupply point is Mountain Crossings at Walasi-Yi which is on top of Blood Mountain--the highest peak on the AT in Georgia (4458') and is supposedly the spot of a battle between the Creek and Cherokee tribes in the late 1600's. If there's internet available there, we'll post an update and some pictures. Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

  1. Well, I will be checking in regularly, if only to learn just how wired the AT is :)

    It is awesome you guys are doing this. I'd love to do this someday, but I think if I did I'd be the one my camping party would later report was 'left to the wolves back in Tennessee.'
    Brent H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh Blood Mountain? That is a crazy name... hope to see some pics and hear how the first leg goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "in yer bloood!" mountain. Wow, are they recruiting nurses? have fun you guys and enjoy each other. let me know where we can have the pizza delivered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mick, Hannah:
    What are your trail names?

    ReplyDelete